Changes Coming February 13, 2015
I know, I know...it has been a while since my last post. Christmas, NYE, Dallas won a playoff game, and the Patriots won the Super Bowl -- yes, those have all happened since my last post. I even went horseback riding down in Arizona since my last post, and no joke, it was the scariest thing I have ever done. I have been wanting to make some drastic changes to my website for a while now, and I am going to finally pull the trigger. I am going to move everything over to Squarespace. The only downside to this move will be the inability to import all of my markdown posts from my current setup. I have not yet determined if I can go through my archives, pick old posts then back date these on a new Squarespace blog. Not sure when everything will be setup, but, basically, I just wanted to let everyone know I am still alive and well.
Random Wednesday November 26, 2014
- Sex in space?
- A profile of Jonathan Ive; these don't happen often on Apple's execs.
- Playboy's list of best bars in America. Have you been to any? Heading to Chicago soon and looking to check out Punch House.
- Derek Jeter's new project, The Players' Tribune looks rather interesting. If he can get other prominent athletes (Russell Wilson has already written a piece) to partake, it will be fascinating to read. I'm looking forward to hearing stories from athletes directly from the source. (As you can see I started this post a while ago - Blake Griffin, Tiger Woods, and Jason Collins have now all written pieces for Jeter's site).
- The $100,000 guard dog.
- A cool piece on what it's like to be a hotel concierge.
- A behind the scenes look at what goes on on an NFL sideline from a former ball boy. It is mind-boggling to think about the pain and suffering NFL guys go through each week and still perform at a high level.
- Volunteered for this!? Not scary?! Sure as hell looks scary.
- And with that, your cocktail for Thanksgiving and another for the weekend.
- Go Cowboys, and Happy Thanksgiving!
Random Friday September 26, 2014
- 17 of the most unusual beaches.
- When I think of NYC, I do not usually think of whales or sharks, but this is an interesting read on the cleaning of the water nearby.
- Welcome back, NFL! (this is how long I've been working on this post...it's already 3 weeks old.)
- Made some of these delicious looking stuffed Jalapeño poppers for opening weekend too! (They were pretty good right away but definitely do not leave any for leftovers.)
- Hacking your own iCloud account.
- So glad I did not get the iPhone 6+. The iPhone 6 is borderline too big. Certainly feels nice to have a new phone after two years of having the same one.
- What's your favorite hotel in Vegas?
- Larry Ellison bought a Hawaiian island.
- I love detailed articles like this. It's about Air France Flight 447 crashing in 2009.
- A brilliant idea. We need this in Minneapolis.
- What a stud.
- How would you like to live here?
- And with that, your cocktail for the weekend.
Arthur July 23, 2014
My girlfriend and I added a new guy into our family recently. The decision was easy - I never grew up with animals, and she has never not had an animal. That may make the decision sound one sided, but it was anything but. I have thought about getting a dog for some time now (I lived alone so it made perfect sense), but I was always worried I wouldn't know what the hell I was doing and would mistreat one. Now having someone to lead the way, I can learn and not feel bad when I do something wrong since my girlfriend immediately fixes it and Arthur just ignores me.
Newport Beach Notes May 28, 2014
- I was able to see the smoke of the San Diego fires where I was. San Diego is an hour south of where I was. Crazy.
- I have never seen as many Mercedes Benz in my life.
- Traffic wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.
- Traveling on Sundays is amazing. The airports in Minneapolis, Phoenix and Santa Ana (John Wayne) were all dead.
- What's the logic behind pouring a glass of wine into a carafe so the client can then pour it into their own glass?
- Not enough local restaurants. Not a ton of national chains but too many local chains.
- Get up early one morning for breakfast and eat it near the ocean so you can watch the surfers.
- Being a valet worker seems legit out here; I wasn't at an expensive hotel yet still saw an Audi R8, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Maserati, a few Teslas, and countless Mercedes.
- No bugs at all.
- The lifestyle isn't necessary my thing, but being able to sit on your patio in perfect weather each night might be worth it.
- Speaking of things I do like, golf, two country clubs within a mile have initiation fees over $100,000. Insane.
- Where does all this money come from, anyway?
- Enough about money. Hard to get over it out here though.
- Steak, eggs, and jalapeño toast. Every place should serve this for breakfast.
- And crab cake benedict.
- A lot of major businesses in the area - Google, Amazon, Billabong, Maruchan, Ford, Mazda, Element, Kia, Yard House, LA Fitness, In-N-Out Burgers, Blizzard.
- I was working in Irvine. By the time I got to my hotel in Newport Beach (5-10 miles west of Irvine), the weather dropped at least 10 degrees.
- The area wasn't as "beachy" as I expected.
Random Friday April 25, 2014
- Why don't I blog more?
- Many of us bitch about the weather in the Midwest all Winter long, but what's stopping any of us from moving and changing that?
- I watch zero hockey, but it's one of the few sports the University of Minnesota
does well in. Inevitable, I tune in; they
losewin with 0.6 seconds left. They did go on to lose in the finals though. Oh well, good run. Now I'm watching the NHL Playoffs.
- Have you ever had the Blazin' Wings from Buffao Wild Wings?
- Just saying.
- Crows are really smart, apparently.
- I used to get random questions/trivia/facts from my Uncle every morning when I was younger. I recently visited and the latest - what does SCUBA stand for?
- Do you own any Bitcoins?
- I joined a slow pitch softball league meaning it wil be the first time in 5-6 years that I will put a glove on and swing a bat. Should be very interesting.
- The NFL schedule was released, and I've been waiting for the date of the Dallas @ Chicago game - Thursday, December 4th. Book it.
- Hospitals creep me the fuck out.
- I finally pulled the trigger and got 1Password. You should do the same.
- I don't play a ton of cards, but these are beautiful!
- Awesome new podcast recommended to me, Joe Rogan Experience
- Enjoy your weekend, and enjoy one of these.
Random Friday March 7, 2014
- Best time to watch sports in Vegas - an NFL weekend, Super Bowl, March Madness, or New Year's Day bowl games?
- Cookies and cream cheesecake cupcakes
- Apple TV has a Smithsonian channel that shows Aerial tours of different places. Aerial Minnesota was just on there. A few facts - Minnesota was the 32nd state; gortex, post-it notes and roller blades were all invented at the University of Minnesota. On top of that, the U of M was one of the first public coed universities in America.
- Jimmy Fallon played Charades the other night with his guests on the new Tonight Show...fucking brillant. It was hilarious.
- Here is the article everyone is discussing regarding the ...founder?... of Bitcoin.
- A bacon scented iPhone alarm clock, why the hell not?
- Another cool iPhone app/gadget.
- I love tech and gadgets, I ordered one of these earlier this week. Great device for traveling.
- This WGC event @ Doral in Miami is unreal. I love watching golf where par is a good score.
- Speaking of golf, the weather and season cannot come soon enough.
- Keep it simple this weekend, have a g&t. Enjoy.
Observations from Hawaii January 27, 2014
- The beaches are absolutely beautiful, as is the water.
- Also, these same beaches are not nearly as big as I anticipated. When I say big, I mean the amount of sand between the ocean and the road/grass.
- Poke is amazing. You must try it.
- Another must, visit Hanauama Bay. It gets quite busy, but the snorkeling there is really beautiful and fun. I'm not the greatest swimmer by any means and was still able to see a fair amount of fish not far from the shore. The only difficult part is that the water is fairly shallow with coral underneath so not touching it is tough.
- It rains (more like a mist) out of no where periodically throughout the day.
- Walk signs allow you to cross the street any way you'd like (diagonally too).
- Hawaii shirts are no joke there; everyone has them.
- The ocean water is surprisingly cold, at first, but just get in, you’ll be alright.
- NFL football is amazing at 8AM.
- Sunday Night Football at 3:30PM - not so much.
- Oddly, the only place my girlfriend could find a real lei was at a drug store in the cooler along side the desserts. I expected vendors along the beach to be selling them as well.
- ABC Stores, their local convenience stores, are everywhere. We had 3 within our hotel alone.
- Prices were not nearly as high as I expected them to be. Food and alcohol prices were equivalent to any large US city.
Random Friday December 20, 2013
- Jaguar attacking a caymen? Yes, please. This video is sweet.
- An extremely well done short documentary on the story of a t-shirt.
- I'm a bit late on this, but Panic's new office is amazing.
- Coin is a cool, new idea for storing all of your credit cards within one card. If you want to buy one, use my referral link.
- Christmas cookie ice cream shots. Enough said.
- I'm not a big fan of MLB banning collisions at home plate; it seems like an over-reaction.
- These golf shoes are beautiful (black ones).
- I have never witnessed as many horrible Dallas Cowboys' losses as I have with Jason Garrett at the helm.
- Stories about spies and the CIA, like this one, seem straight out of a movie and are fascinating.
- An interesting and funny conversation between Bill Simmons and Malcolm Gladwell.
- GQ gift guide for the 1%.
- The Maldives might actually be happening.
- No special cocktail today, but have yourself a few gin and tonics over the weekend. Enjoy.
Shuffleboard July 10, 2013
Sick ass shuffleboard table; this game is definitely not in enough places.